Objectives of the programme
The specific objectives of the programme are to:
• Convey basic information about drugs and alcohol, and create an awareness of and teach children about the dangers of substance abuse,
• Enhance self-image and promote a positive, healthy sense of self-worth,
• Assist children to develop the necessary skills to resist peer pressure and the allure drugs and alcohol,
• Empower children to make informed decisions, to evaluate these decisions and take responsibility for their choices,
• Encourage children to seek help when confronted with a problem, more especially if it is substance abuse related, and
• Capacity building training for selected volunteers to assist with the marketing and implementation of the POPPETS programme crèches and schools.
POPPETS Capacity Building and Training Programme
SANCA Western Cape trains and capacitates volunteers to facilitate the POPPETS Programme in their own communities during a three-day workshop, which covers:
• Background to the programme,
• Drug and alcohol education,
• Presentation skills,
• Content of each POPPETS session,
• The making of puppets,
• Manipulation of puppets,
• The use of activity sheets and flash cards, and
• Administrative record-keeping and evaluation tools.
Each trainee is equipped with a comprehensive programme manual, a set of puppets and a puppet booth, activity sheets and flash cards, as well as the necessary skills to efficiently administer and evaluate the POPPETS programme. These volunteers are initially accompanied by a SANCA trainer to ensure that they are fully equipped and supported to implement the programme effectively. All volunteer facilitators are monitored and supported through regular, ongoing supervision. They receive a small stipend and are required to complete and submit feedback / evaluation forms.
Approximately 90% of programme expenditure is secured by grants and donations through on-going fundraising. A nominal fee structure is in place to cover the shortfall. We require a motivational letter from the beneficiary to rendering of fully sponsored programme.
Areas where SANCA offer the POPPETS Programme
SANCA social workers render the POPPETS programme from branch offices in Atlantis, Athlone, Cape Town, Guguletu, Khayelitsha, Mitchells Plain and, Tygerberg offices.